The Young Elites is the origin story of a villain that is set in an alternate fantasy version of Renaissance Italy. After The Blood Fever sweeps through the world, a few children survivors come out of the illness with supernatural powers, these lucky few are named called The Young Elites. The main character, Adelina, is essentially the teenage girl version of Darth Vader or Magneto—the story chronicles her downfall into darkness.
The Young Elites Series
- Adelina Amouteru — The series' main protagonist (anti-hero). A girl with silver hair and a missing eye, Adelina has a dark past and twisted opinions about the world and people around her.
- Teren Santoro — An antagonist, who in the original book was one of the main protagonists, however in her final copy was changed. He was, "too normal," "too nice," and, "waited around too much relying on too many people." However; Lu says that Teren, "managed to pull himself together and turn into a surprisingly fun character."
- Enzo Valenciano — The leader of the Dagger Society and the rightful prince of Kenettra. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen.
- Raffaele Laurent Bessette — A young elite who worked for the Dagger Society. Raffaele was formerly the series' protagonist, but was, "bland and uninspired," according to Marie Lu. He is described as beautiful and intriguing. He works as a consort at the court, and has the ability to sense others energy. He is in charge of finding the young elites whom the Dagger Society are trying to save. His name in the original book was Tye but was later changed.
- Sergio — A former member of the Elites, later assisting Adelina with her goals for the Rose Society. He has the ability to control water, which is why he was dubbed "The Rainmaker."